|Balenciaga blazer, Stella Mc.Cartney, Mother jeans, backpack from Marks and Spencer , Stella McCartney sandals (and Nars Schiap lipstick)|
You always read in magazines about the power of a white shirt and I'm sure I'm guilty of saying what an easy staple it is to update your more fashiony buys. But the truth is that buying the right shirt is actually quite a challenge: you have to think about fit and you have to wear it just-the-right-way. On me it doesn't instantly looks cool, it sort of looks corporate and not at all modern and relaxed, I need to work a lot harder at the styling. So today I thought I would share a few of my perfected styling tricks to give your white shirt that J.Crew cool factor...
- Think about make up: wear it with a coat of cool lipstick like a bright orange or pink. If you are not a lipstick girl opt for nails or an eye flick;
- Wear it with distressed denim: by pairing it with something a bot "worn" you are instantly dressing it down rather than up;
- Pair it with a cool shoe: it can be a high heeled sandal, a printed pump or a statement flat or even trainers - just something a bit on trend that will instantly take it away from the coorporate look.
- Style it. See what works with your bottom half and then work it accordingly: for example if you are wearing it with a short skirt you might want to button it up all the way to balance it out. If you are wearing it with skinny leather leggings you might want to leave it hanging out loose.
- Roll up your sleeves.
- Layer it: pair it with a sharp tailored blazer, an Isabel Marant-like trophy jacket or a mannish coat.
- Wear a cool bag, and by cool I mean either fun or iconic. (I'm wearing it with my new Marks and Spencers backpack to give it a sporty edge)