Chanel espadrilles from a selection at Vestiaire Collective
My Chanel espadrilles were a totally crazy, indulgent buy, but I have to admit I absolutely love them and have got so much wear out of them last season, to my surprise mainly when I was in London. I think espadrilles are mainly a beach/holiday shoe, but with so many styles to choose from there are styles that make them totally city appropriate too. Sadly if you work in a smart office, I still think they are a total no-go, but could work at the weekend. Here are the rules I go by and all the ones I would own if I lived in Los Angeles all year round!
The perfect city espadrille:
- Opt for leather, suede and fabrics that you would actually avoid on the beach - they are more likely to be city appropriate.
- Choose neutral colours like black, navy and tan and save brighter shades for the beach.
- Styles with a closed toe and back are preferable to ones that are not.
- Avoid straps and lace ups that instantly look very beachy.
- A heeled or wedge espadrille is the ultimate holiday heel so stick to flat styles only.
- If in doubt, ask yourself if you could call it a shoe and if the answer is yes, then it's likely to be city appropriate!
1 Diane Von Furstenberg Cairo espadrilles £171
2 Valentino C-Rockee leather espadrilles £490
3 Soludos £57 ASOS
4 and 6 Suede £88 J.Crew
5 Tory Burch Two-tone leather espadrilles £175
7 Isabel Marant Étoile Cana printed canvas espadrilles £90