WIT Search

Friday 27 June 2014

WIT mama Friday: Work/Life balance


On duty/Off duty look
So much has been said about trying to achieve work/life balance that I want to start by saying that I know I can't bring much more to the table but my own experience. It may be because after having children this concept becomes much more relevant in a women’s life, but with the news of me leaving Red now official, I wanted to dedicate this last WIT mama Friday to my attempt to find a balance between being a satisfied working mum and a committed mother. 

At the shows in London
Going back to work in September after one years maternity leave was, to my surprise, not a big deal for me: of course I was going to miss Greta but I kind of longed being back at my desk, I missed my fabulous job at a glossy magazine, I loved getting dressed up in the morning with a purpose and most of all, I missed grownups company!

Back at my desk and one of my first pages in Red this year
Unexpectedly, as months went by and Greta got older, this slowly but steadily changed to the point where one day I realised that seeing her one hour in the morning and little more than this in the evenings was quite simply, not enough. 

On the set of a Red shoot this year
I started WIT as a side project to my day job and for a long time this worked just fine; I could be a shopping editor during the day and a blogger at nights and weekends, guilt-free. But since going back to work full time and with a small child this has become increasingly difficult (forget trying to be a decent wife, friend and family member!). My evenings, weekends and holidays often at a laptop were not acceptable any longer and I gradually started longing for a clearer on-duty/off-duty routine.

Working on WIT at the week end
What if I could find a way to have more flexible working hours, ones that would allow me to spend more time with Greta?  Was there something I could do that would allow me to pick her up from school in the future as well as having the odd afternoon off to take her to a play date? If so, would I be prepared to give up a prestigious job and the security of a salary for it? Could starting my own business and being my own boss be the way forward? A lot of thought went into answering these questions and, with a little compromise here and there, I decided to take a leap of faith and resign from Red with the plan to  fully commit to WIT and develop a personal project that has been in the back burner for almost four years.

The Fashion Monitor announcement of me leaving Red
At this point the decision was kind of made for me: in the last five years WIT and all of you that read it have become something I really care about and the job behind it is one that I want to do really well. So WIT and my new project (yes, obviously it’s fashion!) are going to be what I do 9-5 most days, and my balance comes with knowing that my working day finishes after that. 

Leaving Hearts yesterday evening..
So after six amazing years at Red, eight busy working months and a pretty emotional day, yesterday I said goodbye to my friend and colleagues at Red and next week Greta and I are flying back to Italy to be with our family and friends for a work-free month. I will be back to regular posting in August but until then, I will update once a week. It’s time for a new chapter in my life and I (and my new business partner) simply cannot wait to tell you all about it...

My new project started here..

24 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been an avid reader of your blog for a very long time and find it so lovely to see your life change over the years - I'm sure this new chapter will bring you much happiness and success...Good luck Laura xxx

Unknown said...

Good luck Laura, can't wait to read about the next chapter in your life xx

Cesca said...

Another avid reader here who just wants to say good luck Laura! It sounds like an exciting new time in your life and I can't wait to read all about it! Francesca xx

La Zitella Acida said...

Sono davvero felice per te, congratulazioni! Spero di vedere presto il nuovo progetto!

L

ByHester said...

Good luck with your new project Laura!! x

TheOnlineStylist said...

Such a lovely post Laura and wishing you lots of luck with your new project and of course making WIT full time. I for one am thrilled as, if it means more WIT then bring it on! Enjoy your month in Italy! xx

Tanya Jackson said...

Great news for Greta & WIT readers!! You'll be a great success Laura; I follow lots of fashion / beauty blogs and yours is truly unique - your tone is so warm & advice so down-to-earth that it feels more like an email from a friend. I look forward to seeing your new posts appear in my inbox every time, whereas I got bored & unsubscribed from others I used to follow. I truly think you'll be a bigger success than Red magazine (I do love it too, but wish it was more like your blog!). Enjoy your holiday, Tanya xxx

Unknown said...

Good Luck Laura. I've been reading your blog since you started back at Red and as someone who did a similar thing when I had my first child I totally relate to the challenges it presents. I too decided to leave and go self employed. What's it all about if not new horizons?
I look forward to the new project and wish you well with your summer break.

Deniz Family said...

Wishing you the very best of luck with all your future projects Laura and as another huge fan and reader of WIT, I am thrilled that it will continue to go from strength to strength. Enjoy your well deserved holiday with your family. x

Unknown said...

I have been following your website for a couple of years, stuck out in the wilds of Suffolk, Mum to two didn't want to become an 'invisible mum' in Mum uniform living vicariously through my daughter's wardrobe. You have provided inspiration and I love my daily doses delivered to my email. It must have been a very difficult decision to leave your job, but Greta's childhood and your Mummyhood will go in a flash enjoy them while you can, this is the beginning of another exciting phase in you life, which you will continue to look wonderful throughout and us looking as stylish as we can too. Good luck and enjoy your lovely Italian summer. xx

Anonymous said...

How exciting! Good luck Laura x

mnl0520 said...

Good luck with your new project! I can't wait to see what you have in store for us!

Unknown said...

All the best with these changes...I left my full time job to work part time elsewhere after I had my little girl... I might have to buy the "cheap thrill" items instead of the "investment buys" but I adore getting to spend this time with her...I hope you enjoy this special time with little Greta! Love your blog xx

Helen said...

I have been an avid fan of WIT from the very beginning, and it has been lovely to see you evolve - good luck with the new (ad)venture, and well done for having the courage to make a change.
Helen x

Dorset Fashionista said...

I've only started reading your blog recently, and so am very happy to hear you have bigger plans for it! Good luck with it all and enjoy your time away.
Abbi x

Nina said...

Aaaaa, Laura, so happy for you. I wish you all the best! You are my official fashion inspiration and I open your blog daily. You also made me cut my hair! ;) All the best to you! Kisses, Nina

PollyF3 said...

Good luck Laura. Really looking forward to seeing your new project. My little girl is a few weeks older than GZ and it has been lovely to see your journey as a mum. Enjoy your break. Xx

Unknown said...

How exciting, I've discovered your blog only recently but have been an avid Red reader for years.....wishing you lots of luck & enjoy Italy!!

Sarah Tomczak said...

I'm a reader - and a friend - and I am so thrilled for you to have a new adventure, and get more quality time with GZ. Even though I won't get to see you every day anymore I will join your other WIT devotees here! So nice for you to share your thoughts and emotional journey with us all (as well as your wardrobe!). Much love xxx

Cheri said...

Congratulations and good luck! Looking forward to hearing more about your new project.
www.whatthemom.com

Chloesamsmith said...

Wishing you all the very best Laura. As a working mum of three who is always grappling with the work/life balance, I think you are inspiring, courageous and without doubt someone who will make a huge success of the next chapter. Have a wonderful relaxing break with GZ in Italy, I'll miss your daily posts but look forward to hearing about new project.
Love from a big WIT fan... X

martina said...

Non vedo l'ora di scoprire il tuo nuovo progetto!! In bocca al lupo per questa nuova avventura e goditi le meritate ferie, noi ti aspettiamo Laura!!! un abbraccio

Helen.by.instyle said...

WELL DONE YOU! I will miss you, while you are away, but I will really look forward to your' return. Have a fabulous break, with Greta, and recharge those batteries. Wishing you 'all the best.' Helen X

The Fashion Lift said...

Congratulations Laura, a really brave move and one that will no doubt be extremely successful in both your home and work life. Best of luck with your new project I am looking forward to reading about it and in the meantime, wishing you and your family a wonderful break no doubt Greta will be in seventh heaven being with her lovely Mama lots!! Xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...